Certainly, each of us has faced the problem of a clogged sewer at least once. Whether we are talking about sanitary ware in the bathroom or in the kitchen, the pipes become clogged due to food debris or household waste that is incorrectly disposed through the drainage holes. Here’s what you need to know about repairing your sewer, the best solution for unclogging it and how to prevent this.
How to unclog your sewer
Cleaning your drainage pipes can involve simple or complex operations. Some of them can be done with the help of professional cleaning solutions found on the market, as well as with cleaning solutions prepared at home, from simple ingredients. There are also special tools for cleaning sewer pipes, such as special wires or pumps, but it is recommended that they be used only by people who know how to do this operation properly. Severe problems with the sewer require the intervention of HVAC Denver plumbing specialists.
However, it is always best to prevent than fix, and the good news is that there are many ways to prevent clogging of your sewer and avoid dealing with a very serious situation that requires various and complex interventions. It is important to understand what you can do and teach your whole family to do the same.
- The most convenient solution is to stop throwing food scraps, dirt, crumbs, grease or hair in the sink. Moreover, we recommend that you avoid throwing oil, fats, dirt in the toilet or bathtub. You can wipe the plate, after eating; using a paper towel that you can then throw in the trash. The oil can be recycled and we recommend that you do so, but if you do not have this option, at least put the used oil in a separate container before throwing it in the trash.
- Turn on the hot water tap for a minute on a weekly base. You do not have to use any additional product. Regular drain cleaning using hot water is one of the most recommended and simple prevention solutions. Thanks to this method, you will not allow debris to accumulate in the drainage pipes, because boiled water makes its way through greasy residue build ups, disintegrating them.
- Use several tools that prevent food debris from entering the drainpipes:
- Sieve for the sink. It is a small but simple accessory that will prevent food scraps and crumbs from clogging the drain pipe. It must be simply places on the drain siphon and cleaned anytime it catches some debris.
- Drain filter. This device is in the form of a drain valve and is very helpful because it filters food waste. It is especially beneficial in cases where there is far too small debris that cannot be retained by a regular sieve. It is ideal for bathroom drains, when there is hair residue.
- Do not throw hair in the toilet either. Just because the drainage hole seems big enough doesn’t make it suitable for hair disposal. Actually, whatever you do, try not to mistake your sewer for the trash bin!